- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place mushrooms on a baking sheet.
- Rub all over with oil and bake until softened, about 20 minutes.
- For the marinara, in a large saucepan heat oil over medium.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, and pepper flakes.
- Bring to a simmer, using a spoon to crush tomatoes against the side of the pot, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree.
- Add salt to taste. In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring, until browned.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- With mushrooms upside down on the baking sheet, top with marinara, sausage, onion, pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni, mozzarella, and Whisps.
- Bake until cheese is melted and browned, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with remaining marinara.
- 8 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- One (28oz) can whole tomatoes
- 4 sprigs basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 oz bulk Italian sausage or Italian sausage links, casings removed
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 4 cremini mushrooms, very thinly sliced
- 16 pepperoni slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (4oz)
- ½ cup Tomato Basil Whisps, roughly crushed